BASIC RULES for DIV I & II (4th – 7th grades)
• All DIV. I and II matches will be played with a 2-pound Hoover-Ball.
• Teams consist of 4 or 5 players and may be co-ed, all girls or all boys.
• This is a double elimination tournament. Best 2 out of 3 wins the match.
• Teams with 1 loss move to the 2nd chance bracket.
• The match will be capped at 15 minutes. If a winner has not been determined, the team with the most wins or points at the end of regulation will win the match.
• Good sportsmanship is required. Points in question should be played over.
• 4 players take the court on each side. The 5th player will rotate in with each point scored by either team.
• Players are allowed one pass before returning the ball, if needed.
• Players may take one step when throwing or passing the ball.
• A ball caught out of bounds must be carried to the nearest inbounds line and played from there.
• A ball that hits the net at any time on the way over is a live ball.
• The same team serves one entire game. The other team serves the following game.
• The serve is rotated to a different player with each point.
• Serving will be done from the center line. If the serve doesn’t make it over the net, the server may try again without penalty and move closer to the net. If the 2nd attempt fails, the point is then lost and the serve is rotated to the next player.
POINTS & SCORING
• Scoring is like tennis: Love – 15 – 30 – 40 (deuce, ad-in, ad-out) – game.
• Points are scored when a team:
– Fails to catch the return
– Fails to serve or return the ball across the net
– Returns the ball out of bounds