Grants are limited to Linn, Cedar, Johnson, Jones, Scott, and Muscatine counties. The grant program is open to all elementary, middle, and high schools, public and private, as well as non-profit groups such as Girl Scouts which have robotics teams. Teams must commit to outreach at Hoover STEM events including Girl Scouts, Summer of the Arts, North Liberty Blues and BBQ, and Hoover’s Hometown Days. Robotics teams bring information about their teams, their robots (if available), and assist with STEM activities.
All applicants must provide an essay as part of their application that should explain why they believe the team should receive a grant. This essay is limited to two pages or less with an emphasis on creativity. If your team is selected to give a presentation, presentations should be 15 minutes or less and can be a PowerPoint, demonstration, video, proto-type, etc. Teams will make their presentations at the Hoover Presidential Library and Museum in front of a panel of judges on December 6th. Judges will include at least one representative of the Herbert Hoover Presidential Library and Museum.
Please have your team put together a creative presentation and short essay by December 3rd and send to firstname.lastname@example.org. Representatives from the team will meet with Hoover staff to explain why they believe they should receive a grant on December 6th, starting at 1 p.m. on a scheduled start. Teams supported by the Hoover Presidential Library and Museum are expected to show gracious professionalism to other teams and be leaders in their communities and student engineering.
Approved uses of awarded funds
- No more than $1,000 in a calendar year per team
- Team must demonstrate need by sharing anticipated expenses and donations, quotes for equipment and make a commitment to roll any leftover funds into the following year’s budget
- Can be used for registration to start a team, continue a team, or add another team to a school
- Can be used to purchase robot kits, practice fields, equipment or tools
- Can be used for travel to competitions and tournament registration
- Cannot be used for team clothing or items, salaries, space rental, or any other expenses not listed in the approved expenses